District Nutrition Standards
The Williston Public School District #1 Food Services department follows strict nutrition standards, set by both the Health Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010 (HHFKA) and our own Wellness Policy. Our district nutrition standards are as follows:
- A majority (80%) of food items sold individually:
- will have less than or equal to 35% of its calories from fat (excluding nuts, seeds, peanut butter, and other nut butters) and 10% of its calories from saturated and trans fat combined;
- will not have sugar listed as the first ingredient. Candy is not allowed for sale.
- Williston Public School District #1 encourages fruits and/or vegetables to be offered for sale at any location on the school site where foods are sold.
- Juices sold must be 100% fruit juice
- No sweetener can be the first ingredient.
- Calories from fat must be less than or equal to 35% per serving
- All vending machines which sell soda will be off between the hours of 2 a.m.-2 p.m. Juice and water machines may be left on at all times except those in the food service area, which must be turned off during meal times, 8 a.m.-9 a.m. and 12 p.m.-1 p.m., according to USDA regulations.
- Pop machines in staff work rooms may be left on at all times.
Additionally, it is recognized that there may be rare special occasions when the school principal may allow a school group to deviate from these standards. Each class party should include no more than one food and beverage that does not meet district nutrition standards for foods and beverages.