Student Council is about leadership. The WHS Chapter of Student Council gives students the opportunity to be involved in a group that benefits the school and community as a whole through different activities and fundraisers.
Some of our activities include:
- Student Council does everything for Homecoming. It's the busiest time of year, as we have committees for: Publicity, t-shirt sales, the parade, pre-game/halftime shows, float building, dress up days, decorating the school, and coronation of the Homecoming King and Queen.
- State Convention
- Every year in mid-December, Student Council travels to Bismarck for the State Convention. While there we learn leadership skills, run a candidate for leadership positions at the state level, listen to great motivational speakers, and, of course, go to the dance. Last year had over 90 schools at 1,200 students at State Convention! It's a great opportunity to see the differences Student Council makes across the state.
- Christmas Kindness
- This is one of our largest fundraisers of the year! We organize Change Wars, Door Decorating, Dress-Up Days, and other activities that raise money for WHS families in need during the holiday season.
- Rose Sales
- Just in time for Valentine's Day, we provide students the opportunity to buy roses for their significant other, friends, or teachers. Student Council delivers roses to students in class with a short message.
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- The first week in May is Teacher Appreciation Week, a chance for Student Council to put together fun activities and presents for staff members.
- Guest Speakers
- Once a year, Student Council looks for a motivational or inspirational speaker to bring into the school to speak to the student body.
In an effort to fulfil our duty as leaders, we try to volunteer and fundraise throughout the year. Some of these events include:
- T-shirts for Homecoming
- 5K Race
- Ringing of the Bells
- Christmas for Kids
- Backpacks for New Students
- Gift Wrapping
- Food Drive
- Bethel Prom
- Holiday Singing
Student Council Officers
Student Council has an advisor, Karla Olson, but the point of Student Council is leadership from our students. Every May, we have elections for Student Council Officers for the following year. Our officers are what drive Student Council. Here are their roles:
- Calls meeting to order, has final say in many situations, tries to keep the group focused on their many tasks, and much, much more.
- Vice President
- Basically the same tasks as President, but doesn’t have final say and doesn’t call meeting to order. If the President is gone, Vice President takes over for the President.
- Keeps notes of what’s happening during the meeting, keeps attendance records, and writes updates for the Parent Newsletter.
- Handles and keeps account of all the Student Council’s money.
Student Council Advisor
Karla Olson is the advisor for Student Council. For more information on Student Council, email firstname.lastname@example.org.